News » Safety on Irish farms 2017-04-24
April 2017 - It's a busy Spring on farms right across Ireland with work running about two weeks behind schedule. Safety is one of the most important issues facing farming in Ireland today - farming is the most dangerous occupation in Ireland. (Source: Famer's Journal infographics)
Many of our staff own working farms or have worked in the agri sector for many years and our thoughts are with the families of those who have lost their lives on the farm in 2017.
If you are working on a farm, please remember:
- Be seen to be safe - wear reflective, high vis clothing.
- Be extra cautious on the roads - as Ireland steps into economic recovery, road traffic has returned to pre-recession levels.
- If you're tired, take a 15 minute nap - it will boost your concentration and productivity levels. The RSA recommends 2 cups of coffee immediately followed by 40 winks. By the time you wake up the caffeine should have started to kick in.
- Is your oil tank up on a huge height that can only be accessed by a ladder that is prone to being slippy in the damp Irish weather? You can now buy a Kingspan double skin, ground level oil tank and a good pump system - available from any of our depots.
- With machinery being used intensively to play catch up, lubricating is of paramount importance. We stock and deliver a wide range of lubricants that cover heavily loaded engines, transmissions, brake and clutch systems, wet brakes and hydraulic pumps.